Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My sponsor & ad dilemma...

I've been approached about sponsors and ad space as well as an offer to host a guest blogger in exchange for a pay per click on links she would use in the post. Sounds good right?
Well the issue is, when I started this blog the idea of using it to make income was the furthest thing from my mind. I signed up for the AdSense account assuming it would maybe add up to maybe a pack of diapers a year (I'll be lucky if it even comes close!) but the thought of actually making money to live off never even occurred to me. First of all, I didn't really know it was possible since I'd never really had the opportunity with other sites I was on. Secondly, it seemed a strange thing to me... that people were getting paid to influence others on their personal blogs. Now that it has become an immediate possibility I'm torn.
I joined networks and made friends and followers with the intent of sharing my opinions and writing about my life as a single mama trying to work from home and raise my little girl. I didn't intend to ever use those connections and the traffic to my blog that resulted for any monetary gain and doing so makes me a little uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I only make so much from my freelance writing jobs. I host an event at my local bar once a month but it isn't enough to cover the bills. I'm trying to start my own business and I plan to start painting a series of nursery pictures to sell. I'm determined to do every single thing I can (within reason) to make working from home actually work. I don't want us to struggle. So... every little bit helps right?

So... mama's who accept sponsors:
How do you pick among them?
Do you often find yourselves promoting things that you would never actually use?
Is the extra income worth it?

via Cafe Press (and no, I didn't get paid for it haha)
I think I'm going to try this on a super small scale and see how it works. So... bear with me.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I read a few blogs that review products and have sponsors and I think it can be done very nicely. As long as you are honest about the product, as a reader, I don't have a problem with it. I personally don't like blogs that are all about give-aways but I think it is great when mom's can use their experinces and share their oppions to make a little money! Hope it goes well and I will be here!! Good luck!

MsAngelStarr said...

Yeah, I read a few that do reviews and ads occasionally but then there are also the ones that seem to be nothing but paid posts, ads and giveaways which seems to defeat the whole purpose of a blog. Especially the mommy blogs. I'm never going to let it get like that for sure...
I'm going to post the guest blogging one tonight and see how I feel about the whole thing. It was my best offer and doesn't involve any endorsement on my part so if I'm going to start somewhere, that seems like a good place. I just don't want to alienate anyone.
Thanks for the support!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...