Sunday, September 25, 2011

Annoyed by the new Facebook layout? Privacy issues? I have some solutions!!

Whether you want to or not... apparently.
So along with the new Facebook layout that was rolled out earlier this week were the usual complaints from people (like me) who don't adjust well to change... especially seemingly pointless change. But along with this were some very real privacy concerns. I keep my personal Facebook friends group pretty lean. The FB page for the blog is open but I don't post personal things there. I hate people I don't know seeing where I've been 'checked in' to a place in real time... creepy. My page is friends ONLY for a reason. I don't share things with people unless I'm positive I want them to see. I have some people who have a limited view, some who see everything and even a choice few who are blocked entirely. So after the update when I noticed that all of a sudden my public view contained a list of people I had friend-ed and comments I made, I was more than a little miffed. And that ticker?!??!!! HATED that ticker. So I went hunting for a way to deal with the changes before I just gave up and deleted myself entirely.... here's what I came up with.
This information is out there but it's scattered all over so here it is neat and tidy and all in one place. I've tried all of these solutions and am currently running them successfully with minimal inconvenience.
I did the legwork for you... hope it helps!!
So, where to start?

Want to get rid of the Facebook ticker that is now showing up on the side of your news feed? Well, if you are browsing with Chrome there is a quick fix that will get rid of it for FREE! No info, no 'liking' anything. Just a click to install the Chrome extension.
Go here to get it: https://chrome.google.com/webstore
It's legitimate and it takes about five seconds, then you refresh the page and *poof* no more annoying ticker in your sidebar!
I've read that there is also a Firefox script you can run, but I can't recommend something I haven't tried myself, but here's the link if you want to give it a shot:  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/facebook-ticker-removal/
Unfortunately, I haven't found a reasonable way to eliminate it with other browsers.

Now how about this annoying top stories business appearing above your feed?
This one is a little tricky and it isn't a one click solution, but over time it should clear the section entirely. See those blue triangles in the top left hand corner of your 'top' stories? Click it. It will mark that type of story as less important and if you clear them all and refresh your news feed goes back to normal! The catch? Whenever Facebook reloads it finds new 'top' stories. The hope is that eventually after marking stories as NOT top stories they will eventually stop showing up altogether. To be honest, it's yet to be seen, but it is a quick and simple short term solution!

There is also an issue with FB showing select stories only in your regular feed or whittling down the amount of posts. The solution to this seems to be creating a list of all of your friends... call it 'everyone' or 'all' and then in your sidebar under lists go to your new 'everyone' or 'all' group and Voila! all the posts from all of your friends are back!

As far as privacy goes, this would also serve as a solution if you are worried about tagging and commenting activity showing up where it isn't supposed to. Just set your privacy settings to ONLY the 'everyone' or 'all' group. Then no one will else will be able to see your info or tags, likes, comments etc...

The only catch to this list solution is that you will have to revise it a little every time you add a new friend, but I think it's worth it...

Hope this was helpful!!! Feel free to let me know if you've found a quicker or easier way or if you have any other Facebook tips/tricks to make it less annoying and better protect our privacy.

Oh yeah... and consider this my admission that I'm a total nerd.

15 comments:

Malia said...

hi! stopping by for the not so moody monday blog hop! i know...i'm a little early :-)

http://livinthemommylife.blogspot.com

Small Kucing said...

thanks for the tips. Really hate it as FB keep changing their layout and stuff like that. Headache when comes to privacy issues

Stacy said...

Following from the Not So Moody Blog Hop! Hope you'll visit www.stacyssavings.com!

Thanks for explaining how to fix the facebook changes! I totally need to do this! I have a Restricted Access list for in laws!

MsAngelStarr said...

Welcome @ Malia!

@ S.K. I'm headed over now to see what you've been up to, I've been lazy lately!


Hahaha @ Stacy! I can understand that for sure!

Rosann said...

Thanks for the valuable facebook information! I know I've been very frustrated with it since they changed everything.

Blessings,
Rosann

Staci said...

I'm so done with Facebook at this point. It's rather frustrating. But Google + isn't all that great either. I wish I could start a better one for people to use....
However, I am not a "total nerd". HAHA.
Visiting from vB.

MsAngelStarr said...

Yeah I've about had it. Now there's news that they monitor your web activity even when you're logged off?!?? Not sure how true that is yet... doing some research but I'm dangerously close to being done with the whole thing. I've already downloaded all of my info from the site just in case. And I agree... Google+ leaves a lot to be desired.

Shannon Milholland said...

Wow you've really got this all figured out. I am so impressed!!

Michael Ann said...

Oh boy, that all DOES sound like a lot of work. I think I'll at least try the "everyone" list because I feel like I'm missing out on so much now. These changes really are awful.

MsAngelStarr said...

Thanks ladies! I actually just found another solution for layouts too... Better Facebook
You can customize every tiny aspect of Facebook's layout, including color! Unfortunately it doesn't do much for privacy.

Ashley said...

Hi! Now following from FNF blog hop!

Thanks for all the great FB tips; I've already tried one of them out & it worked!!! :-)

Hope you follow me back:

http://scrapbookluv.blogspot.com

TigerEyes2001 said...

THANK YOU!!! I HATED that thing! I need a new social network like Facebook USED to be... :(
Hi! New follower from the FNF Blog Hop! I hope you'll stop by my blog and follow back! Thanks! :)
Through the Eyes of a Tiger

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Michelle Lundy said...

Thanks for the tips. I use that better facebook but the name is going to change soon. Facebook didn't like Matt using their name. So watch for the change, it will only be the name changing not the program. And in that you can choose to have feeds in chronological order and top news feed disabled, but some say it runs slower than just have to see with your set up. Thank you for all your work.

MsAngelStarr said...

Thanks for the info!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...