Thursday, May 10, 2012

Easy, healthier, freshly cracked pepper crust-ed quiche!

Ok, I know I teased everyone with the picture of my quiche yesterday. To make it up to you, here is a step by step recipe with pictures! This is delicious and much healthier than a traditional quiche. Most quiche recipes call for SEVEN eggs and FOUR cups of cheese! Yes, they're also super yummy, but how often can you justify eating like that? My version is practically guilt-free!
Make it for yourself and tell me what you think! <3

Ingredients:


  • 1 refrigerated pie crust (preferably rolled, not folded)
  • 1 large egg lightly beaten
  •   cups liquid egg white (or 6 egg whites)
  • 1/4 cup low fat or skim milk
  • 1 cup low fat shredded cheese of your choice - I used a four cheese (mostly cheddar) blend.
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • freshly ground black pepper - I used about a tablespoon but I LOVE pepper. You may want less.
  • filling(s) of your choice - I used cup spinach and 1 cup sliced mushrooms                                     (raw measurements- if you're using already prepared ingredients, aim for about 1 cup)

Preheat your oven to 350° with the rack in the middle position. 
First, you're going to start with your pie crust. 
*These usually come in a pack of two and they aren't too expensive. This is a one crust project so store the other one. The best part of these is that they actually freeze really well and thaw out pretty quickly. I always have an extra box hanging out in my freezer for quiche or pie emergencies! (Believe it or not, they happen!)
Unroll the crust and sprinkle liberally with crushed black pepper  I added a little pinch of salt too. 
Use a rolling pin and lightly roll over the crust. You aren't changing the shape, you just want to make sure you get that pepper embedded into the crust. Flip the crust and repeat on the other side.
 Either wrap dough on the pin or fold the crust in half gently (this makes it easier to move) 
then transfer to a very lightly sprayed 9" pie dish. 
I always use a glass pie plate, (more on that later) but any kind will work.


 Now press the air bubbles out and shape the crust so it sits just below the lip of the dish. 
This will make it easier to cut and serve later on. 
Pop it in the fridge for a little while to chill while you prepare your filling(s).
This one is going to have some mushrooms and fresh spinach in it. There's really not really a trick to the fillings, use whatever you have on hand. Just be sure if you are using vegetables that the veggies are cooked almost all the way through. Also be sure there isn't too much moisture left on anything you put in. That's a surefire way to get a soggy crust! Don't go nuts straining or anything, a slotted spoon will do the trick.
 
Put your fillings aside to cool for a little while. 
You want anything you put in to be right around room temperature. 
Next you will beat together the egg, egg whites, milk, nutmeg and salt.  
Take your pie crust out of the refrigerator and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over the bottom.
 Add your fillings and top with 1/4 cup of cheese.
 Then gently pour over your egg mixture and bake for 40 minutes.
Turn the oven off and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over the top.
Leave quiche in the oven an additional 10 minutes to let the cheese melt and the eggs fully set.
Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before cutting.
Looks delicious, right?!
 Then comes the most important step...
 ENJOY!




1 comment:

Spanish Pinay said...

oh lovely! I knew I should have bought that pie crust I saw in the market the other day. But I didn't have a recipe in mind so I just said "next time"... now I am craving to do this!

Spanish Pinay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...