Friday, March 1, 2013

Today I may have invented something amazing....

480406_10151349976407685_1450099838_nThese, my dear friends, are what I hope will turn out to be homemade gluten free protein bars that are actually portable. This is my test run. These babies are going to be eaten over the next ten days to see whether or not they will keep without being refrigerated. I know this seems like it would be an obvious requirement. However, trust me, after sifting though literally fifty or more that needed to be kept in the refrigerator, apparently it's easier said than done. I think the main issue is that homemade bars aren't loaded with preservatives. In fact, these are only seven ingredients!!! This is definitely a good thing, but there are a lot of things to consider if you want to avoid the chemicals. Obviously, spoilage is a big concern. I've managed to deal with that by using only shelf-stable ingredients. If nothing in them needs refrigeration, then the bars themselves shouldn't (hopefully). Another less obvious issue is texture. Many of the recipes I read required refrigeration otherwise the bars would become big gloopy messes. I think I may have solved that issue also by substituting elbow grease for liquids. These are never a sloppy mess to begin with so it stands to reason that they won't magically become that way over the next several days, only time will tell. Wish us luck! I did the nutrition info on SparkPeople and they come pretty darn close to the $4.00/box Natures Valley bars that I've been inhaling, only these are cheaper and much better for you. Also, seven ingredients vs. 20+. I think that's a win-win. If they survive the ten day test, I'll be posting a step by step with the recipe! Stay tuned, and cross your fingers!!

Protein Bars recipe

UPDATE: THEY SURVIVED!!! RECIPE HERE.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...