Saturday, September 3, 2011

Our weekend (and week): Hurricane, check-up and Children's Museum!

So as you all know, hurricane Irene made it's way up the east coast last weekend. We were luckily pretty unaffected. We never lost power and had minimal damage, just a lost gutter. However, we were cooped up in the house all weekend which was a little bit of a bummer... we made do though and Aurora didn't seem to mind terribly. Our internet service is another story. It's been unreliable to say the least ever since. Sometimes it's up and running for an hour, sometimes five minutes but for the most part it's down altogether. The cable company assures us that it's due to the storm and they are getting it fixed as soon as possible but in the meantime I haven't been able to get anything done. Tonight is the longest stretch since the storm.
Here's hoping it's fixed for good!
In other news, this week we went for Aurora's nine month check up!
I was anxious to hear how she's doing since this is the longest we've gone between appointments. When we got there they gave her a tiny johnnie and everything! It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen and she loved it for some reason. Probably due to the fact that everyone who saw her in it couldn't get enough of her!!
The pediatrician seems extremely happy with her growth, she's HUGE. Haha 20lbs, and almost 29 inches! Above the 90th percentile for everything. Can't say I was surprised at that, she eats like crazy and seems to be outgrowing clothes on a weekly basis. As far as development goes, we don't have any words yet... but she's crawling, doing a tiny bit of cruising, trying (and occasionally succeeding!) to stand up on her own for a short period of time, 'talking' a blue streak to anyone who will listen and her new favorite thing is to wave at everyone on the bus!
The Providence Children's Museum was within walking distance of the doctor's so I decided to take Aura so we could check it out. I was doubtful there would be much for her to do there since she's still so young, but I needn't have worried. She had a blast!! There were cute little rooms for her to explore that didn't have small or dangerous things in them. I think she was happy just to have a little freedom. She played with plastic potatoes and a bucket in the colonial room:
Played with velcro quilt pieces and a big velcro board in another room... I think she liked this a lot because it was sort of like the refrigerator magnets she keeps trying to get her hands on at our house!!
Then it was on to the big pirate ship!! She bee-lined 'below deck' for the pots and pans and all of the giant plastic food. For some reason she thought it was hilarious to keep banging a plastic clam on the floor:

I had to get a shot of her on the tiny bunk beds... the bowl was her idea.
As usual, strange plastic things caught her interest more than, oh say, the giant pirate ship steering wheel!! I thought she'd love it, but she just made her way over to this plastic rectangle that I'm pretty sure didn't even belong there... oh well.
We had a funny 'conversation' about this pineapple and spatula that she was trying to steal from the make-believe grocery store.
And then we found what will surely become our new favorite hangout!! It's a part in the museum for kids 4 and under called 'Little Woods'! There's a big crawl through tunnel that Aurora LOVED, and a mirror for her to play in.
There's plastic balls for her to chomp on and she even made a new friend while we were there....
Then mama found this little beaver vest and couldn't resist putting in on her for a little bit while she was crawling around.
I'm sure we'll be going there much more often, especially on rainy days. It's totally fenced in and safe and she had a great time. An hour passed without either of us noticing and I even got to talk to a few other moms which was nice! It was a pretty great day and a welcome relief from being stuck in the house all weekend.
 The weather has been amazing since the storm passed. We went to the park yesterday for a bit and Aurora played in the grass for awhile (without eating it!). We also discovered that she's learning how to take things out of a container for herself. Up until now, if I gave her anything in a bowl her reaction is to pick up the bowl and dump it. I wanted to see what would happen if I handed her the canister of puffs once there was only a couple left and sure enough, she stuck her hand right in and started munching away!

So that was our week in a nutshell! Hope everyone else affected by Irene was able to recover as easily!!

8 comments:

Spanish Pinay said...

I am so glad you are all safe from Irene! and hey, that museum rocks. I'm sure my little one would enjoy going there too... but we don't have one here. All we got are parks and parks an parks! oh well,gotta make the most of what we have :-D

Spanish Pinay

FirstComesBaby said...

Thanks! Yeah, I'm so glad I decided to take a chance and bring her, it was great. I actually wish we had a few more parks though! We have one good one and a few little ones but tons of much older kids hang out at most of them so we don't go as often as I'd like... hopefully the city builds some new ones or cleans up the ones we have soon! I agree though, you definitely have to make the most of what you've got!

Unknown said...

Hello from @voiceboks and My 2 Cents
I love this post. My son, now 4, was the same way. He is still way above on this height but thinned out as he became more and more active. He went from being big and round to big and skinny ;-)

FirstComesBaby said...

Haha I have a feeling that may be the case with Aurora too... thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

She is way too cute!! The photo of her in the "gown" is priceless!! I love childrens museums for kids! They love it as they get older too! So glad you are safe and sound! Good for you about not loosing power, we were without power for three days! Not fun! But we were lucky,no damage! Take care, thanks for the great pictures of your princess!!

FirstComesBaby said...

Aw thanks so much! Yeah we had a few friends that lost power, and even one who was moving into a new house and couldn't get their new place hooked up because the electric company was too bust fixing outages! Glad to hear you didn't have any damage though... that's always the worst. My only complaint is that our internet took so long to be fully functional again. I know we could've been much worse off but still, it's nice having things back to normal, finally.

Staci said...

Irene hit us, too. We were very lucky, didn't even lose power. glad you guys fared well, too.
That museum looks like a lot of fun. My son is next to me and has a bit of a crush on your daughter right now. I told him she's too young for him!
Plus, who knows where they live!
Visiting from voiceBoks!

FirstComesBaby said...

Haha that's adorable. The museum is in Rhode Island! (and so are we haha)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...