Saturday, December 10, 2011

Our weekend: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Now that all of the birthday madness is over with I finally got a chance to put up the Christmas decorations!
First up was my little silver tree which I've had for the last 6 years. I never felt the need to go all out when it was just me and Scoobie (the dog) and whichever roommate I had at the time... 
Ye Olde Silver Tinsel Tree.
Then came our Christmas stocking and various holiday candles. 
Aurora's new handmade stocking fit in nicely with ours.
The biggest development this year is that we have officially become a two tree household! I was originally going to ditch the silver tree in favor of the new 'real' tree but I just couldn't bear to part with it yet... plus it looked cute near the fireplace! I thought long and hard about this tree purchase. I planned to get a fresh tree but thinking about little exploring Aurora hands, the dog and a cat made me change my mind. I decided to get a small four foot tree that I could put on a table until everyone (mainly Aura) can get used to it and learn it's not a toy. 
I'm estimating I'll get at least three good years out of it haha.
When it comes to actual Christmas trees (as opposed to my tiny novelty one) I get a little obnoxious about decorating them... For our first 'family' Christmas tree I wanted it to be simple and all silver. I also had to do it on the cheap which actually wasn't so hard. 
The obnoxiousness reared it's head in the form of being dead set on old fashioned icicles (tinsel.) Well, apparently no one makes it or sells it anymore, not that I could find anyway. I ended up hunting for a solid week on Ebay to get some...  (Five boxes for $5 shipped! It would've been quicker if I was willing to pay $10 PER box... I wasn't.)
Then I just filled the tree with dollar store ornaments which I'll eventually swap out as we collect more meaningful ones... All in all I spent $52.00 ...including a fancy new ornament for Aurora's second Christmas ($16 - engraved) AND the tree itself! (pre-lit, $25.00 on sale)
I think it came out pretty great! What do you think?
This is Aura's new ornament!
This is her first from Auntie Poo last year!
$12 tree topper? Nope. $1.00 flower and twist tie.
Ta-da!
Christmas spirit? Check. 
Christmas shopping? Well... not so much. But I'm working on it!
Happy holiday season everyone!

10 comments:

Small Kucing said...

This year i deciced to decorate my tree red and silver http://www.smallkucing.com/2011/12/childrens-life-of-christ-jesus-is.html. I got a "baby"tree for my small kucing too. He loves it.

I think next year Aura would love to decorate the tree with you.

FirstComesBaby said...

Aw.... I love it! Yeah, I was thinking the silver tree will probably become Aurora's tree in the future!

Angela and Aaron said...

Your tree is lovely! I saw your blog on a blog hop. Would love a follow back. www.sportsstiletto.blogspot.com

FirstComesBaby said...

Thanks! I'm heading over to you right now!

Maša said...

the last picture is very beautiful! I also love the stockings. :) happy holidays!

Actingbalanced said...

I think your two trees are fabulous! For years we had our big tree and then my daughter would have a little one in her room. Unfortunately her room is now stuffed with stuff and I don't think there's room for her tree anymore... but I'm all about more trees!

Stopping by from Thirsty for Comments - late I know... but I wanted to let you know that you're one of the featured bloggers this week - check your email for more info!

FirstComesBaby said...

Wow! Thanks so much!!

Unknown said...

I love both of your trees. I think they stopped making the icicles because they are flammable. Be careful and Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Your tree is beautiful and I especially love the bear ornament. And I agree with the silver tree looking great next to your fireplace. Your fireplace is beautiful. I am visiting from Thirsty Thursday!

FirstComesBaby said...

@MGLAWLER : Oh no worries, I did my research. They are flame retardant and lead free. For a very short period of time after the switch from lead there was a flammability issue but it was corrected quickly! The worst problem so far is just that the cat likes to eat them!

@Heather : Thanks so much!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...